09 October 2011

Love My Students!

I am so impressed and amazed by my students!

In my private class this session, I have just under 10 students. The class itself is an SAT Verbal class. In other words, we work on strengthening vocabulary knowledge as well as improve critical reading skills in preparation for the SAT / PSAT exams. It's a group of 9th and 10th graders from various schools around the Columbus metro area who are all American-born of parents who emigrated from China. One thing they've taught me is that Chinese parents are very strict when it comes to academics, which is why they all take extra classes on Sundays.

The local Chinese community organizes classes by renting space in a Columbus-area high school each week. The students pay tuition to take two classes: a Chinese language class and then, during the second class period: literally anything else. The "anything else" can be music, chess, art, math or SAT prep, which is what I teach. I'm currently in my third school year there and really enjoy it. I hate the fact that I never have a Sunday off to just relax and watch football, but I do love the kids and well, the extra cash does indeed come in handy.

The private class is the brainchild (no pun intended) of the kids themselves who were in my class last year after the previous year's class of 15 jumped up to 25 with a lot of loud, boisterous, older kids. They wanted the help so they went to their parents to complain about the size of the class. The parents decided that a smaller, private class would be a good idea. They then went back to the kids who asked them to ask me to teach it and voila! The private class was born.

When I was approached about this, I was very surprised (and hugely complemented) that the students actually requested that I be their teacher. Love these kids!

We are currently in our third 8-week session. The first session we did a little of everything. The second was where we concentrated on vocabulary and grammar and this session has us concentrating on vocabulary and critical reading.

This week across the nation is when the PSAT is taken - on the 12th and 15th. Of October. For Juniors, it determines who the top 5% are who will be National Merit finalists and semi-finalists, i.e. those who will end up receiving academic scholarships. For younger students like mine, it's their first practice taking an official, timed exam.

Even though this is a practice year for my students, we still discussed strategy and how to prepare for it so they all do well. We also discussed, though early yet, where they wanted to eventually go to school. I'm so proud of these kids. I mean three of them just made it to the All-State Orchestra, one made it to the All-District Orchestra and another just did extremely well in a regional piano competition. A few are also in sports like tennis and cross-country. All of them are straight A or A/B students. Those who know told me that their first-choice colleges were MIT - Stanford - Case Western and finally, Julliard (for the oboe player!)

Wow! If that doesn't make their teacher proud!! :-) They are such amazing kids, so oh yes. I am definitely - so - very - proud of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it friendly, clean and classy. Moderator reserves the right to remove any inappropriate comments.